Adelaide Fibromyalgia Treatment
Adelaide Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes pain in the muscle and bones, often accompanied by chronic fatigue and poor sleep. Fibromyalgia Adelaide patients experience tenderness at certain points of the body when pressure is applied and women are 7 times more likely to be affected. According to the most recent statistics, about 1 in 50 people suffer from fibromyalgia in Adelaide. It’s the second most common musculoskeletal condition behind arthritis.
Common Symptoms Associated with Fibromyalgia
Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet
Menstrual irregularities and pain
Brain Fog / Difficulty concentrating
Fibromyalgia is a debilitating condition that affects every aspect of life
- People with fibromyalgia are three to four times more likely to suffer from depression.
- 50% of fibromyalgia sufferers have difficulty performing daily activities.
- 30–40% of people with fibromyalgia have to quit work or change jobs.
- People with fibromyalgia are hospitalised once every three years on average.
- The average fibromyalgia patient uses three or four drugs daily to control symptoms.
What is the conventional treatment for Fibromyalgia Adelaide Patients?
Currently, there are no tests to diagnose fibromyalgia. The condition is diagnosed based on symptoms and history after excluding any other diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, depressive disorder, multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
There is no consensus in the medical community on what causes fibromyalgia. However, the current theory is that it may involve a variety of factors, including:
- Genetics. Fibromyalgia runs in families, so there may be genetic mutations that make people more susceptible to it.
- Infections. Some viral or bacterial infections appear to trigger or aggravate fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma. Post-traumatic stress disorder has been linked to fibromyalgia.
Because the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown, conventional treatment is focused on managing symptoms. Common medications prescribed include analgesics (OTC pain relievers like ibuprofen, or prescription drugs like tramadol), antidepressants, and anti-seizure drugs (which are sometimes helpful in reducing certain types of pain).
Alternative theories on the cause of Fibromyalgia
The AF Health clinic see's many Adelaide Fibromyalgia patients and many have a similar history involving gut dysfunction. A majority of Adelaide patients with fibromyalgia have digestive problems and tests often show infections, dysbiosis, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and intestinal permeability. There are many scientific studies connecting fibromyalgia with gut dysfunction.
- 73% of patients with fibromyalgia reported GI symptoms, compared with 37% of those with osteoarthritis. (1)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is present in 30–70% of fibromyalgia patients. (2)
- 33% of IBS patients meet the diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia, compared to just 4% of control subjects. (3)
- Up to 50% of patients with fibromyalgia have functional dyspepsia, which is a fancy term for “indigestion” with no known cause. (4)
Fibromyalgia Adelaide Treatment
AF Health aims to identify the underlying mechanisms and reasons fibromyalgia, addressing this leads to the most effective long-term lasting treatments. AF Health focuses on combining the latest scientific research with effective treatments based on the current research findings.
- A study in 2008 found a relationship between alterations of the intestinal microbiota (i.e. “gut flora”) and fibromyalgia. (5)
- Researchers at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles found that 100% (42/42) of fibromyalgia patients they studied had small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) (6)
- A study of 40 patients with fibromyalgia, 28 (70%) had intestinal permeability (i.e. leaky gut). Importantly, 12 of the 28 patients with leaky gut had no gut symptoms. This is one reason the gut can be overlooked as an underlying cause of fibromyalgia. (7)
As you can see from the studies above, Fibromyalgia is strongly linked to intestinal health. Fibromyalgia Adelaide treatment at AF Health is focused on restoring intestinal microflora, removing any pathogens, and managing intestinal permeability. By addressing the underlying causes of Fibromyalgia the treatment is safe, effective and can yield life-changing results.